Barton Reading and Spelling System
LDANB-TAANB is continuing to offer the Barton Tutoring Program in the greater Fredericton region. The Barton Reading and Spelling System aims to improve the reading, writing and spelling skills of school-aged children and adults alike who have low literacy levels due to reading difficulties or reading disabilities. The Barton Tutoring Program is a specialized one-on-one tutoring program based on the Orton-Gillingham method that teaches the phonemic structure of our written language using a multi-sensory approach. This approach recognizes that individuals who have reading difficulties or reading disabilities learn best by involving all of their senses: visual, auditory, tactile and kinesthetic. The individual attention provided by Barton’s one-on-one tutoring approach will allow each individual to learn at their own pace based on their own specific literacy needs.
The Barton Tutoring Program runs all year. During the fall and winter semesters, the program offers 20, hour-long tutoring sessions, twice per week. During the spring and the summer semesters, 12 tutoring sessions are offered.
LDANB-TAANB is looking for people of all ages who struggle with reading difficulties and reading disabilities to receive specialized, one-on-one Barton tutoring. Call or email us today for more information or to register!
Who can benefit from the Barton Reading and Spelling System?
- Someone who can read and comprehend spoken English at the second-grade level
- Someone who has an IQ of 70 or higher
- School-aged children or adults who struggle with reading, writing, and spelling
Where will the tutoring sessions take place?
- Tutoring sessions are offered in the greater Fredericton area and in Oromocto in a quiet and private classroom setting
When will the tutoring take place?
- The one-hour tutoring sessions take place twice a week, after school or in the early evening. If scheduling is a concern for you, contact us and we will try to make some accommodations to best suit your needs.
What are the fees for Barton tutoring services?
- LDANB-TAANB is a non-profit organization and strives to offer literacy services at the lowest possible cost. The Barton Tutoring Program costs $20.00 per session with a one-time administration fee of $50. If financial concerns are a barrier for you, please contact us to discuss possible subsidies for this service through LDANB-TAANB.
How do I register for Barton tutoring or how do I become a Barton tutor?
- If you would like to become a Barton student or tutor through LDANB-TAANB or if you know someone who could benefit from Barton tutoring, please contact our Literacy Specialist, at (506) 459-7852 or via email at: [email protected]