Assistive technology(AT) is a term referring to tools that can assist an individual over information processing difficulties affecting learning and performance. For younger learners, this can provide an opportunity to have fun while learning, and children can receive positive reinforcement while taking steps to improve their skills, and obtain an increased sense of worth through play.

Neil Squire, provides excellent support and resources on AT - Atlantic Regional Office - Neil Squire Society

There are two grants available. For both grants one must be eligible for a student loan. The Canada Student Grant for Students with Permanent Disabilities offers up to $2,800 per loan year (2023-2024 school year). There is also the Canada Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Students with Permanent Disabilities, which offers up to $20,000per loan year. 

Go to Canada Student Grant for Students with Permanent Disabilities - to see the details regarding these grants, or visit your local post-secondary institute's Student Financial Assistance Office. Be sure to follow the steps carefully to determine eligibility.

The Disability Tax Credit (DTC), helps reduce the income tax that people with physical or mental impairments, or their supporting family members, may have to pay. It aims to offset some of the costs related to the impairment.

You may be eligible for the DTC if a medical practitioner certifies that you have a severe and prolonged impairment in 1 of the categories, significant limitations in 2 or more categories, or receive therapy to support a vital function.

Complete details on the DTC can be found here Disability tax credit (DTC) -


You should contact the school and arrange a meeting so that you may discuss the progress that your child is making. You may want to take a family member or a trusted friend to remind you of the questions you want to ask and to take notes of the meeting. This may make the meeting less stressful for you. Be open and honest with the school personnel, and be specific about your concerns/plans for your child’s future. Because you know your child better than anyone, it is important that you are as proactive as possible during this process. If these strategies are not working, LDAs across Canada provide advocacy services and support. You must also make yourself knowledgeable about learning disabilities and your child’s in particular. You should also read the NB Dept of Education document Resource for the Identification and Teaching of Students with Specific Learning Disabilities.

The vast majority of post-secondary institutions have a Disability Service Office (DSO) or Student Accessibility Centre (SAC) on campus which is responsible for overseeing the requirements of students with specific needs. Also, is a fantastic online resource for students. It provides tips on study skills, links to free assistive technology and many other resources designed to help students enrolled in a post-secondary institution. It is best to make contact with your local accessibility centre at least 3 months before the start of the first semester.

An assessment will provide the necessary information needed to address your child’s area of deficits using his/her strengths. It is preferable to have this done through your child’s school, but if there is a long waiting time this is a significant factor and should be documented. Another route is to obtain a referral to a psychologist from your family doctor or pediatrician. If this is also not forthcoming, your family’s health plan may cover a portion of the costs. Having an assessment done privately will be in the area of $2,000+. If it is determined to be a LD it can be counted as a medical expense.

Contact your medical insurance provider or HR rep for details on whether or not an assessment would be covered under your plan. Typically, this is not covered under a basic medical insurance plan; however, some suppliers do provide some coverage for assessments. When gathering information concerning coverage, there are a few questions you will want to ask:

  1. Do they require a referral from an M.D.?
  2. Can you use the coverage to pay for the assessment?
  3. What is your level of coverage, is it a percent or dollar amount?
  4. How detailed of a receipt do they require?

Duty to Accommodate refers to the legal obligation of employers to eliminate the negative or discriminatory treatment of employees and the general public. This duty only comes into play when the person’s needs falls under any of the grounds of discrimination listed in the Canadian Human Rights Act.

However, this duty has limits. An employer can claim undue hardship when adjustments to a policy, practice, by-law or building would cost too much, or create risks to health or safety. As there is no formula in place which strictly defines undue hardship, each claim is judged on a case by case basis. If you believe you have a valid complaint regarding discrimination you can call the New Brunswick Human Rights Commission at 1-888-471-2233.

DISCLAIMER: LDANB does not endorse any specific programs or practices.

There are numerous options in the Fredericton area:

Frontier College 
- All of the tutors are volunteers so the service is free. (506) 450-7923

Boys and Girls Homework Club (Devon and Skyline Acres) (506) 454-9237 for Skyline Acres, (506) 472-4528 for Devon.

Multicultural Centre Homework Club (506) 454-8292

Doone Street Community Centre Homework Club, sponsored by Frontier College (506) 450-7923

École des Bâtisseurs Homework Club, sponsored by Frontier College (506) 450-7923

Pathways Educational Services Centre for Dyslexia, LDs and Autism (506) 447-7235

Laubach Literacy New Brunswick an adult focused literacy and tutoring service

There are some options in Moncton as well:

Frontier College Moncton (506) 450-7923

Forest Glen Homework Club (bilingual) sponsored by Frontier College (506) 450-7923

Rogers Raise the Grade (Boys and Girls Club)(506) 853-5803

Homework Club for Newcomers in Partnership with Multicultural Association of Greater Moncton Area (Bilingual)

sponsored by Frontier College (506) 450-7923